Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Profoundly Simple Conviction From Hebrews 2

For the past few days I have been studying about the divinity of Christ in the book of Hebrews. Today, as I was getting into chapter two I came across a verse that for some reason has never struck me before. Hebrews 2:11 was a convicting reminder of my duty, no, my privilege of sharing the Gospel. Telling people about Jesus and what He has done for us is the duty and privilege of every Christian.

I saw a church sign recently that said "every Christian is either a missionary or an impostor". This may seem harsh, but is it not true that Jesus commenced and concluded His earthly ministry with admonitions to become
fishers of men and to go into the world and preach the Gospel, making disciples in His Name? Ok, enough preaching. I know that Christians know that they should share their faith. I also know that it's not easy. My point from Heb 2:11, which I will get to soon, is that we should face our fears of rejection and humiliation and just do what He commands us to do.

So the verse at hand tells us that Jesus Christ is not ashamed of us. Ok... now think back over the past week. How many times have you given Him good reasons to be ashamed of you? You know, sins. This would include lying, stealing (giving free food or drinks where you work counts), lusting, gossiping, cursing, unjust anger, etc.

Now, during that same week how many times have you been ashamed of Jesus? I guarantee that it's more than you remember. To be ashamed isn't just embarrassment because your mom is the
bearded lady in the circus side-show or your little brother is that wolf boy from tabloids (who is really a real boy, really! actually four that I know of). It also means timidity, bashfulness, foolishness, fear of rejection or disapproval and inadequacy, and it finds its roots in good old-fashioned pride (Dictionary).

Ok, I'm quite confident that my point is clear now. If Jesus is not ashamed of us, with all of our sins, then how in the world could we ever be ashamed of Him and not be eternally ashamed of ourselves?

While the conviction is fresh do something. Go out and tell someone about Jesus and how He has saved you from hell and promised you eternal life in Him. Help them to understand that they have broken God's laws and are in danger of hell, and that if they repent of their sins and place their faith in Jesus they can be assured of their salvation. It's simple. If you are saved you have the Holy Spirit and with Him all of the knowledge you need to tell someone else how to be saved.

For help in sharing your faith visit one of these ministries online:
Living Waters
Mark Cahill
Evangelism Team
WOTM Radio

No comments: