Thursday, December 16, 2010

Worship Set: Numero Uno

I have been thinking about it and I would like to start blogging about my worship sets as well as just posting lengthy, opinionated ramblings. So, I'll start with this here blog!

Last Sunday I used a few Christmas songs, combined with a couple of modern worship songs, for the Sunday morning setlist. The set was as follows:

1) Lord, Let Your Glory Fall by Matt Redman - I used the "Calvary Chapel" arrangement with the cool Collective Soul World I Know chords that are so popular nowadays. Eb (D, capo 1)
2) Angels We Have Heard On High - transitioned into this song using the same chords as above, played over "Glo-o-o-o-ria, in excelsis deo," then into the standard D progression. We did 3 verses; "Angels we have...", "Shepherds, why...", and "Come to Bethlehem...". Eb (D capo 1)
3) O Come All Ye Faithful - we used three verses; "O come all...", "Sing choirs...", and "Yea, Lord..." Ab (G, capo 1)
4) O Come O Come Emmanuel - we transitioned into this song by ending on the Em7 chord rather than the G chord. I wrote a really pretty Em7 riff a few years ago for this that is played as the intro and outro and at the end of every chorus, which we used as the transition from the previous song. It worked really well. Fm7 (Em, capo 1)
5) Your Love Never Fails by Jesus Culture - ended previous song on the Em7 riff and then right into a muted downstrum in the tempo for this song, using the verse chords muted and then building into the bridge chords with non-muted strums. At the end of this song we tagged Matt Redman's modified chorus for O Come All Ye Faithful, which is just different words sung to the same tune as the original chorus. Google it :)

The last song was the most energetic song in the set, and was fitting as the previous songs dealt with the Advent, the coming of Christ as a child, and for the most part had a slower, more contemplative feel. The set actually had a pretty cool thematic flow. Starting with a request for God to send His glory, with lots of pre-Christ, Old Testament references, then singing about the manifest, incarnate glory of God coming as a man, then ending with a song about the love of the Son for His redeemed, which is the very reason He came. Overall it was probably the best Christmas set I have ever done, which isn't hard really, since most of the time I have just thrown together carols and hoped for the best.

1 comment:

SandraJohnson said...

Hey James, my name is Sandra. I read a lot of blogs on religion and prayer and I've i feel like I've ended up here once before. I ran across this prayer exchange website and I haven't had the chance to ask my Church what their stance is on it.

I think that there are some benefits to a site like this but some others might find it questionable.

The website is http://www.prayermarket.com/.
I am curious what you (or other Christians) think about it and know that I and maybe your readers would be interested in hearing your opinion.

I'll check back here in the next day or two, thanks & God bless
Sandra Johnson